Monday, June 2, 2008

A Blaze

Rating: NSS
I never thought it would happen, but it has. Universal Studios had a fire on the back lot on Sunday, and some famous movie backdrops burned; additionally, there was some damage to a vault which contained videos and film reels. Fortunately, there wer copies stored elsewhere. It would be a great loss to lose so much of our culture. Some may say that it is no loss, but movies are, in a way, the literature of our time. I wouldn't compare it to, say, a fire in Stratford-on-Avon, but it is a loss, nonetheless.

I admit to being a native-born Californian. As such, I freely admit to having taken the backlot tour at Universal Studios. I also freely admit that having grown up in the state of fruits, flakes, nuts, and O.J. can make reality seem surreal. Knowing Universal Studios and Disneyland and knowing that they are mere fascades made traveling to Europe slightly strange. I had to constantly remind myself that the historic buildings I saw were actual buildings which were used for actual life, not just a soundstage or a backdrop. In that sense, Universal Studios was a sham, a show.

I also admit to being a teacher. I understand the importance of history, I know the importance of literature--written, heard, viewed, etc. In this manner, Universal Studios has significance.

I have to ask this: If they rebuild, how will that affect the backlot tour? "Now we are passing through the place that looks like the set of --- movie. . .?" I don't think it'll have the same effect.

No comments:

I'm a Cali Girl!

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
 

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
The Inland North
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz