Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I have Issues

I have issues, or rather, up until today I had issues. That is not to say that these issues have been resoloved. No, my favorite radio program is now off the airwaves. Issues, Etc. has been yanked. The website reads, "Issues, Etc. is no longer available."

If this were merely a case of a radio program going off the air, I would not feel compelled to write anything about it. This, however, is not the case. I first learned of the cancellation of Issues, Etc. from a phone call from my husband saying that he heard from someone who heard from a good authority that the show was being discontinued. I did not realize that he meant TODAY. I was thinking that the show would end sometime in a few weeks or months. NO, when I turned it on at 3 o'clock, it wasn't there. The website for the radio station was down (HTTP 400 bad request), and that was it.

I later heard that at 10 o'clock today the host, Todd Wilken, and the producer, Jeff Schwarz (I'm sorry if I misspelled that) were fired, ". . .for the good of the station. . ." Let me go on the record as saying that that is a crock of baloney! You don't fire someone when their show is doing well. You don't eliminate a person whose show carries the entire radio station. It is one of the few (if only) nationally syndicated radio show produced by KFUO radio. It is heard around the world. I know of three people personally who live in foreign countries and listen to Issues, Etc. online.

If you have never heard of Issues, Etc., let me give you a little idea. . . It is a conservative, confessional radio program that discusses all sorts of issues. It's talk radio for Christianity. They talk about current issues, historical figures, religious issues; basically they run the gamut. Sometimes I would wait and wonder what Todd had to say about this, that, or the other issue, such as the St. Stanislaus debacle here in St. Louis.

Little wonder then, that certain people wanted him off the air. I mean, come on, can you truly belive that his detractors would let him stay on the air, when some of his strongest detractors are the ones in charge?

Again I reiterate, if it were merely the passing of a favorite show, I wouldn't be so hurt. I am not certain of any facts, but I suspect there is politics involved. It saddens me. I would write to those responsible, but I'm not sure how to word my statement to show them the importance of the show and the sadness I feel for it's elimination.

I just want to add as a final thought: Thanks, Todd, for my Issues, Etc. mug. It is now my most favorite.

No comments:

I'm a Cali Girl!

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
 

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
The Inland North
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz